Best power conditioners
Every company that delivers electricity tries to follow the standards and provide the same power quality, but in reality, that does not always happen, which is why there can be fluctuations in the voltage you receive. That may prove to be dangerous for your equipment, whichever that is, and the recommended course of action is to invest in the best power conditioner you can afford. The device will protect your stuff, and you will always feel safe. Worst case scenario is that whatever you have plugged in would receive too many volts, and that can burn your circuits. Obviously, nobody wants that.
So what is a power conditioner? It is a small device designed to improve the quality of the power. It will deliver the appropriate level of voltage to your equipment so that everything will function in the optimal parameters. Of course, such devices have more than one function, but it depends on the manufacturer and model.
The benefits of using a power conditioner
While some people may find this new, or useless, unfortunately, you would be surprised to know that a whole lot more think that a power conditioner is a must if you have valuable equipment in your home/studio. Let’s say that you are a musician with a ton of gear, and the quality of the power is not always the best. What do you do? Do you gamble thousands of dollars in equipment, or do you spend up to 100$ to protect all of it? I think we all know the answer to that. And here is why:
- It will protect your equipment – this device is mostly bought by people who own a lot of audio equipment because this category is the most sensitive to power fluctuations. A power conditioner will protect it from that. All your sensitive gear will be protected against any voltage You may or not be aware, but those disruptions can bring a lot of damage to anything that is plugged in. Are you sure you want to leave your costly equipment at the unstable hand of electrical companies? I do not think so.
- Your equipment will work on optimal parameters – since your devices will receive the precise amount of volts they need, it makes sense that they will work as they should, right? The performance will be pristine. At the same time, depending on the model you choose, a power conditioner should also have the ability to filter the noise, which means that the audio clarity will be perfect as well.
- It will prolong your equipment’s lifespan – if you are wondering how that is possible, you should ask yourself one question. Let’s say that you have two audio monitors, once which is plugged into the wall outlet and one in the power conditioner. The former will suffer through the voltage variations, while the latter will receive the appropriate amount at all times. Which one do you think will last longer and perform better?
There are plenty of other benefits, but that depends on the model you buy and the functions you want the device to have. At the same time, the benefits will be in accordance with what category of equipment you use it for. But I think you get the idea.
What is a power surge?
Power surges are happening every day, but few know what those really are. However, when you look for a power conditioner, you will see this phrase thrown a lot. To get an idea, a power surge is also called a voltage spike. There is a whole textbook on them, but you may know about them without knowing how they are called. Have you ever experienced a blackout during a lightning storm or a short circuit? We all have. Well, during those moments, the power goes out due to an overvoltage. An overvoltage means that the nominal voltage will increase above 110% for more than one minute. There is the term ‘undervoltage’ as well, which means that the nominal voltage goes under 90% for more than one minute. When both of those happen, your equipment will not work appropriately, and that is when a power conditioner intervenes. It will maintain the nominal voltage at an adequate level no matter the external conditions. That is why power conditioners are also known as voltage regulators.
How to choose the best power conditioner?
Now, when you go to the store, you may be able to find a few good models, but it’s not like general stores have the good stuff. No offense to general stores. That is why online shops are your best option. You have a vast variety of products and the chances of finding exactly what you need increase considerably. But how do you know which one to pick? Below you will see the most important specifications you need to look at. That should make your job easier.
- The number of outlets – depending on what you plan to plug in, look to see is a particular product has enough outlets. Buying more than one power conditioner can be considered overkill, especially when you have models that are equipped with 10+ outlets. If the product of your choice comes with USB ports as well, that is a huge plus. You can charge all USB-chargeable devices at the optimal voltage, which can never hurt.
- Always go for the three-in-one options – this is the best thing you can do when you buy a power conditioner. We have established what a power conditioner does: protects your gear, corrects the voltage levels, and removes the noise. As long as you can find a product that can do all that, you are golden. You cannot fail.
- Notoriety – it may seem silly, but you cannot know which product delivers what it says on the label. It applies to all online-bought products, and power conditioners make no exception. The best way of knowing is to read some power conditioners reviews. See what people who have already bought a product have to say about it.
- Additional features – more is always better, and if you can afford a power conditioner that can do more than what it is expected of it, that would be great. There are models out there that have a battery just in case the power goes out, which sounds excellent. It gives you time to properly turn off all of your equipment. That is only one example, but the manufacturers are in a constant competition to create something better. Of course, additional features like that cost more, but it is up to you whether you want it or not.
What are the best power conditioners?
Looking for the best power conditioner may give you a headache because there are so many of them out there. Of course, you can do some research before actually making a purchase, which is almost mandatory, but if you do not want to go through all that, below you will find three excellent models that I am sure you are going to love. They are mid-range so to speak, but they will meet the purpose they were created for.
Pyle 19 Outlet 1U 19” Rackmount PDU Power Distribution Supply Center
This is one of the best models you can find online, and one of the reasons why this product from Pyle is a best seller is that it comes with 19 outlets in total. It has a detachable rack design, which makes it versatile and will save you some space. The mounting flanges are removable and configurable for rack-mount, wall-mount, and under-counter installation. You can place it virtually anywhere without it getting in your way.
This model also comes with 4 USB ports so that you can supply power to all your devices. An integrated switched front panel AC outlet and a plastic cover that encases the power switch ensures premium safety. You have nothing to worry about as far as that aspect is concerned. A built-in 15-amp circuit breaker will prevent any dangerous circuit overload that can damage the equipment. When too much power is drawn, the Pyle power conditioner will shut off the AC input.
The Pyle power conditioner comes with a 15-feet power cable, which proves to be quite convenient when you keep your equipment in an unpowered area. This model is designed for worldwide usage with both 110V and 240V. Either way, your stuff will receive an ideal amount of power, and all of it will work at its best.
Furman M-8X2 Merit Series 8 Outlet Power Conditioner and Surge Protector
The model produced by Furman is yet another product that people tend to have a very good opinion about. The reviews are more than satisfactory, which is why it ended up on this list. It delivers AC noise filtering by reducing RFI/EMI. Your equipment will be safe at all times since this device ensures spike and surge protection. It is ideal for instrument rigs, home recording, pro audio rigs, DJ equipment, or home entertainment systems. The Furman will keep safe everything you need to plug in.
The Furman features 9 outlets in total. Eight of them are located in the back, and three of them have wall wart spacing. The 9th outlet is located in the front for your convenience. It even comes with a switch, which is a nice touch. The front panel indicator “protection OK” will let you know when your equipment is protected. You will know the quality of power that feeds your stuff at all times.
People who have already bought this model are more than satisfied with their choice. The first thing you will notice is an improvement in sound quality, and the overall performance will make you want to buy a few more of these. It is a common practice. At a reasonable price, the Furman M-8X2 is one of the best power conditioners you can find.
APC J25B 8-Outlet J-type Power Conditioner with Battery Backup
Last but not least, the power conditioner from APC is one of the crown jewels when it comes to equipment protection. It is one of the best power conditioners on the market, and the fact that it comes with a battery backup is a huge selling point. Not only that your equipment will run perfectly and enjoy protection when the power goes out, but thanks to the battery, you will have time to appropriately turn off all your stuff. The 1500VA (865W) battery will eliminate interruptions, will save your recordings on your DVR, and let’s not forget about saved games on consoles. When the power goes out, the APC is the one you want around.
This model features an automatic voltage regulation that is designed to maintain the level of volts safe and steady. Every single piece of sensitive equipment will be supplied correctly, and you will notice a considerable improvement in sound and video quality. The fact that it is equipped with 8 outlets will allow you to use multiple devices at once.
At the same time, you do not have to worry about power transients, electromagnetic and radio frequency interferences. The LCD in the front will display the power conditions, and the power saving feature can help you save some money.
In my opinion, the decision is easy to make. My personal favorite is the APC J25B 8-Outlet J-type Power Conditioner with Battery Backup. It has a sufficient number of outlets, but the fact that it comes with a battery backup makes it one of the best power conditioners you can find in this price range. I highly recommend it.
Electronics are not cheap, or at least not all of them. When you have expensive gear, it is crucial that you protect them from power surges or any other unstable phenomena that may occur. A power conditioner will do precisely that, and one of the models above will do an excellent job. Click here to buy on Amazon
- The Basics of Best Power Conditioner for Audio
- Best Surge Protector Options
- The Biggest Myth About Electrical Line Conditioner Exposed
- The New Angle On Stereo Power Conditioner Just Released
- An Unbiased Perspective on Best Power Conditioner 2015
- A Deadly Mistake Uncovered on Power Conditioner Home Theater and How to Avoid It
- The Tried and True Method for Best Audio Power Conditioner in Step by Step Detail
- The Unusual Secret of Power Surge Protector
- The 30-Second Trick for Power Conditioner Surge Protector
- The Meaning of Surge Protector
- Key Pieces of Power Conditioners for Audio
- The Benefits of Apc Power Conditioner
- The Battle Over Hifi Power Conditioner and How to Win It
- Surge Protector Outlet Exposed
- Power Conditioner for Home Theater Can Be Fun for Everyone
- The Do This, Get That Guide On Best Power Conditioner for Home Theater
- Why Absolutely Everyone Is Talking About Best Power Strip
- The 5-Minute Rule for Rack Power Conditioner
- Facts, Fiction and Voltage Conditioner
- The Unexplained Mystery Into Ac Line Conditioner Exposed
- One of the Most Ignored Answers for Power Conditioner Rack
- The Upside to Best Home Theater Power Conditioner
- Power Conditioners for Audio Equipment Options
- Av Power Conditioner Fundamentals Explained
- The Number One Question You Must Ask for Audiophile Power Conditioner
- Getting the Best Rack Mount Power Conditioner
- Mains Conditioner – Is it a Scam?
- Uncommon Article Gives You the Facts on Power Conditioner Audio That Only a Few People Know Exist
- Top Guide of Power Line Conditioner
- The Advantages of Audio Power Conditioner
- The Upside to Ac Power Conditioner
- The Monster Power Conditioner Game
- Techniques for Home Theater Power Conditioner Only Handful of People Know About
- Line Conditioner – Overview
- The Honest to Goodness Truth on Power Conditioner